Our garden is starting to produce a small but consistent harvest of snap peas, red peppers, and some strawberries. (No pics yet!) Gracie is tending her own garden plot this year complete with sunflowers, cantaloupe, tomatoes, snap beans, radishes, and strawberries. I will try to post pics soon! She is turning out to be quite the little gardener (must get that from her dad's side of the family :-).
I wanted to try a different, healthier version of chicken fried rice to use up some of those delightful veggies and found one on Allrecipes.com that uses only 1/2 Tbsp. of sesame oil. (Although I didn't know it when I started, we had run out of soy sauce last night. I managed to dig up 4 packets in our fridge leftover from Pei Wei and called it "good enough." So, please note that I used MUCH less soy sauce than called for and just added some extra garlic salt. That said, I'm not sure how this recipe actually is with all the soy sauce it calls for.)
I also did not use eggs and used a mixture of chilled leftover white rice and brown rice in place of all white rice (if I do it this way, my family will eat the brown rice and not complain :-). I do think it's important to use chilled rice for fried rice, which is a great way to use up any leftovers.
Amazingly, we loved it, especially the slight crunch of the carrots and celery (except for Jack, who, of course, rarely likes anything at dinner. This is very funny to me because he is my only child who loves avocados and grape tomatoes and eats them almost every day for lunch!)
Thought I'd share the recipe with you. Next time, I may add some oyster sauce and try some different veggie combinations. I think I actually liked this recipe better than our "normal" chicken stir fry. Enoy!
Thought I'd share the recipe with you. Next time, I may add some oyster sauce and try some different veggie combinations. I think I actually liked this recipe better than our "normal" chicken stir fry. Enoy!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chinese-Chicken-Fried-Rice-I/Detail.aspx

No comments:
Post a Comment