Friday, April 29, 2011

Happiness is a Butterfly ~ Desert Botanical Gardens ~ March 19, 2011

As part of a splintered Spring Break, our family met up with Paul's parents one Saturday to enjoy a yummy breakfast at Einsteins and spend a beautiful day at the Desert Botanical Gardens. One of the garden's highlights for us is the butterfly pavilion where guests can see all kinds of butterflies up close & personal (with some actually landing on your body and clothing.) This was the perfect follow-up to a class I had just done in our science co-op on incomplete/complete metamorphosis and the life cycle of a butterfly.

The sample craft we had done in class using pasta shapes to simulate the different stages.

Some of the kids' creations . . .


Before entering the butterfly pavilion at the Gardens, each person is given a guide for identifying the various kinds. This is a great activity for the kids (and adults too :-)


To view the album I had posted on Facebook, click here and then click on the first individual picture (you do not have to have a FB account to access it.)


 
Gracie with a butterfly on her hat.

Paul, Gail, and I also got to enjoy John Schaefer's stunning "A Desert Illuminated" photography exhibit.

Before leaving, Gail made sure I saw (and smelled) this Chocolate Flower! It really did smell like chocolate.

Wonder if I could grow some in our yard???

For more information on the Desert Botanical Gardens, visit:

http://www.dbg.org/

The photography exhibit continues through May 27:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment