I was reminded today of the importance of positive, encouraging parenting instead of my usual desire to nag and criticize to get my child to do what I want.
Jared had a successful night at his track awards ceremony last night. His coach had positive, encouraging words to say about him: "Diligent, work ethic, consistent, strives to improve . . ." and he won several awards - one for the outstanding contribution of diligence, of all things! This from the fourteen year-old boy who has struggled at times to stay motivated, to faithfully finish and turn in all of his work, and to even care about getting good grades (thankfully he finished with all A's and one B - praise God!)
I told him again that I was proud of him and asked him what he thought about the coach's words. Thinking he would blush and shrug it off, he really surprised me when he replied, "Rubbish. It was all rubbish. The coach doesn't know me well enough to know who I am."
![]() |
| Coach Packard and Jared |
Insert a Godstop moment. I am thankful for those times when God opens my eyes to Truth and reminds me not to hastily open my mouth. When He uses me to speak Life instead of death.
I said, "Jared, we all have different sides of ourselves. When we're in public or in less comfortable situations, we tend to put on our 'best faces.' When we're at home we can let our guard down because we know our family will love us even if we're not acting our best. Just because you aren't perfectly behaved all the time or struggle with some things doesn't mean that the 'you' out on the track field is rubbish. In fact, I would say the opposite is true. I would say that the 'you' on the track field is who you really are. You had a choice to make - whether you were going to work hard, give it your best, and do what was required. You could have slacked off or even not gone to practices, but instead, you chose to give it your all. You see what happens when you apply yourself. This is really how God created you to be: to give it your best, with excellence. You are always going to struggle with your "self" - your flesh that wants to take the easy way out. That's a lie from the enemy telling you that you are not good enough and never will be. Don't listen to the lies. God created you to do great things for Him. We are proud of you, and God is proud of you. And that is something to celebrate."
My words must have hit the right mark (this time) because he smiled and said, "Thanks, mom, I love you."
Oh the power of our words! May we always be reminded!
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits." Prov. 18:21
"You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Phil. 4:24

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment