Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fri. Fun Day ~ Sept. 25, 2009

One of the things I sometimes regret about homeschooling is not taking enough breaks from our regulary scheduled curriculum just to do FUN activities! Sure, we go on field trips and have late afternoons and evenings free from homework, but I'm referring to fun (yet educational) time together. This year I've decided that on monthly field trip days, we will suspend our "normal schedule" and enjoy a cooking lesson and games in the afternoon (including at least one "educational" board game that may not get played too often - much to Jared's dismay.) This past Fri. we chose to make pretzel shapes (I have posted the recipe on facebook if you are interested) and play the game Wordigo. The kids' friend, Kennedy, and her mom also joined us for a fun, tasty afternoon. (I am not a very good photographer, so please forgive my hastily shot photos w/o checking for their clarity.)

Gracie mixing up the yeast. (Don't you love her chef's hat? She dons that for just about every cooking opportunity with mom!) We did get to discuss some of the science behind yeast in baking and had the kids "smell" the yeast (they thought it smelled like the rolls at Logan's Roadhouse!)

Kennedy & Gracie measuring the flour.



Some of Kennedy's pretzel shapes.

Kennedy carefully forming her shapes.


All done!

Gracie forming her shapes (at first she had a row of "marbles" but we decided those wouldn't bake too evenly :-)

Jared forming his Lego letters (notice the Lego brick in a mound by his hand.)

His version of a Lego brick (above the letters.)


Playing with dough is fun - even for a boy!

Gracie basting the pretzels with an egg wash before going in the oven.



Gracie adding coarse salt


The finished product - Yummy! I think they would also be good lightly basted w/butter before baking and then spread with cinnamon & sugar.

1 comment: