Mmmm, homemade peach crisp! Yummy! Makes me think that fall is on its way (despite the continued heat here.) Our family signed up to get our first batch of Bountiful Baskets this past weekend(a food co-op here in Phoenix: http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/) - mainly because they were offering 32 lbs. of Utah peaches for $20 along w/their regular basket of fruit & veggies. How I love peaches! Fortunately, we found a pickup site w/a later pickup time (7:45) and my sweet hubby agreed to go in the rain for me. It was nice to take a break from "real" cooking while recovering from surgery - at least for awhile, but I definitely started to miss it. Tonight, while Paul was busily trying to freeze some of the delightful peaches using his Grandma Pauline's method, Gracie & I decided to make a peach crisp. I'm not much of a cobbler girl (mainly because I don't really like pie crust) but I love fruit crisps made with oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon. And because I am trying to make more "whole foods" recipes (okay, brown sugar is not really "whole foods" but you really can't have oatmeal without some brown sugar now can you? And I only used 1/2 cup :-) The last fruit crisp I made was years ago, but I found this recipe from Joan Lunden that seemed basic enough: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/story?id=1821362
I did modify it somewhat by using more peaches, decreasing the flour to 1/4 cup, increasing the oatmeal to 3/4 cup and adding 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg in place of 1/4 tsp. of the cinnamon. (I also did the two-layer option so there would be more topping in every bite & just cut in the butter using a pastry blender instead of getting out the hand mixer.)
I did modify it somewhat by using more peaches, decreasing the flour to 1/4 cup, increasing the oatmeal to 3/4 cup and adding 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg in place of 1/4 tsp. of the cinnamon. (I also did the two-layer option so there would be more topping in every bite & just cut in the butter using a pastry blender instead of getting out the hand mixer.)
The finished product!
No comments:
Post a Comment