Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Something to ponder . . . .

The kids and I have been reading through The Chronicles of Narnia series over the past year or so and have finally started reading the final installment, The Last Battle! We flew through the previous book, The Silver Chair, and unanimously decided it was one of our favorites. While I have yet to fully comprehend all the spiritual analogies in this series (probably need the Cliff notes to the spiritual side of Narnia :-), I keep reflecting on the deeper spiritual truth evident in one part of the story found early on in The Silver Chair. Jill, the main female character (a child,) is about to be sent off by Aslan's breath to find Eustace, the main boy character, and thus begin their quest to find the lost Prince Rilian, the rightful heir to the throne of Narnia.

"But long before she had got anywhere near the edge, the voice behind her said, 'Stand still. In a moment, I will blow. But, first, remember, remember, remember the signs. Say them to yourself when you wake in the morning and when you lie down at night, and when you wake in the middle of the night. And whatever strange things may happen to you, let nothing turn your mind from following the signs. And secondly, I give you a warning. Here on the mountain I have spoken to you clearly: I will not often do so down in Narnia. Here on the mountain, the air is clear and your mind is clear; as you drop down into Narnia, the air will thicken. Take great care that it does not confuse your mind. And the signs which you have learned here will not look at all as you expect them to look, when you meet them there. That is why it is so important to know them by heart and pay no attention to appearances. Remember the signs and believe the signs. Nothing else matters. And now, daughter of Eve, farewell - '


"Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God,
and that by believing you may have life in his name." John 20:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment