Friday, May 7, 2010

Not Your Average Garden Variety . . .

Well, maybe it is. :-) Here are some recent pics of our small, raised bed garden:

We all love the red peppers we've been harvesting for over 2 years now! I told Paul that everytime he brings one in, he saves me at least $2; probably more! (Organic red peppers are expensive!)

The section in the lower left corner holds a bunch of herbs for cooking! Can't wait to try the fresh basil.

Here are the red peppers . . .


A view from the back. Still waiting on the tomatoes, but Paul says they're coming along.

Gracie's own garden this year. She waters it and tends it herself. So far, Bundy has not destroyed it!




Maybe next year we'll add a second, raised bed.

If you're new to this blog, I highly recommend The Garden Guy's book for gardening in the southwest: Extreme Gardening: How to Grow Organic in the Hostile Deserts http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Gardening-Organic-Hostile-Deserts/dp/0970501609/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273283771&sr=1-2


We also took up composting this year (no pics) by ordering a free bin from the city. If interested, check out your city's public works department. Here is an example and information on composting from the Town of Gilbert.

http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/pw/compost.cfm

2 comments:

  1. Awesome gardening, Lydia and Gracie! I can't wait to grow peppers, too. You're right—the organic ones (and the only ones worth eating) are so pricey!
    —Sonya

    BTW: I finally got my blogroll set up, and I added your blog to my list of links. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sonya, although I can't take any credit. My husband has the green thumb in our family (and Gracie too.) He inherited it from his grandmother and mother. I just reap the benefit! (and do the cooking, of course :-)

    ReplyDelete