
While Jared is in his 3-hour history/humanities/worldview class on Tuesday mornings with Mrs. Carla Fritz , Gracie, Jack, and I are enjoying turning back the clock and revisiting our Five in a Row (FIAR) literature days. I have wonderful memories of this series when I went through it with Jared & Gracie - more laid-back learning & captivating stories. This is one of my favorite methods for homeschooling (and one of the most effective) - filling our minds with beautifully illustrated, living picture books that we never forget! Jared & Gracie loved it when they were younger; now Jack gets to experience it as well. Even though he is a little young for some of the discussion, he really enjoys the wonderful stories and participating in some of the hands-on activities.
Even if you never go through the formal discussion guides, I would encourage you to get the books from your library and read through them with your kids. Some of them were not as well-loved as others, but all were a delight to me! For a list of the children's books used in the Five in a Row series, you can go to the following link:


We are also going through this wonderful children's book on poetry, which includes a CD of various narrations of the poems. I love that I don't have to read all of the poems and we can play them over and over again until we're more familiar with them. (Sorry about the "Click to Look Inside" - you really can't, but I copied the picture from Amazon.com :-)
A few weeks ago, we were reading through a wonderful FIAR book called A Pair of Red Clogs (set in Japan.) I loved this book so much the first time, I purchased our own copy. So, one Sat. when Paul & Jared were helping some friends move, Gracie and I decided to make a quick biscuit type cinnamon roll and enjoy a Japanese-style breakfast. Although a little sugared-out by the end, we had a wonderful time. Here are some photos from our experience.
Gracie kneading the biscuit type dough. (We made this all from scratch and had so much fun doing it!)
What it looked like after rolling out and spreading on the filling. (Excuse the mess! :-)
How fun!
ReplyDeleteWe love that book too!
How cool! Gracie your cinnamon rolls look delicious!
ReplyDelete