Thursday, January 13, 2011

Jack-isms

Crazy Jack - is he a pirate? or a cowboy?
Since I'm taking a break from Facebook for awhile, I thought I'd try to do a better job at capturing Jack's "famous" sayings - called "Jack-isms" in our family. One of my goals this year is to get them recorded so I can *someday* put them in his baby album. Jack's witti-cisms bring a lot of humor (and wonder) to our lives; I thought I could use this blog to help capture and remember them. 

-Last night I made tacos for dinner, which Jack does not like because they are "too spicy." As he sat complaining, taking them apart, and moving food around his plate, Paul told him to "eat them and be thankful. Mommy worked hard to make them." He replied, "And I'm working hard not to eat them!"

-Not feeing well again the past few days, I was rocking Jack in our recliner when he told me that he hoped I'd feel better. I told him that he "could pray for mommy to feel better." So together we bowed our heads and he prayed, "God, please make Mommy feel better . . . as the years pass." (Not exactly the timing I was hoping for, but I'll take it nonetheless :-)

- Last month, Jack asked for a glass of juice, which I okayed, poured and set on the counter. A couple of hours later, I noticed that the glass was still there, untouched. I called to him, "You need to drink your juice. I hope it's still good." He came over, sniffed it, took a little sip and exclaimed, "Mommy, it's still good. . .Well praise the Lord, I can drink it!" (I laughed so hard at that - maybe I use that expression a little too much?" But I can think of worse things he could say :-)

- Also last month, on a Thurs. after BSF (Bible Study Fellowship,) Jack asked if he could have a piece of candy after lunch. I told him he could because I was proud of him for not fussing too much about going to class that morning. (As some of you know, he screamed for over a year every Thursday morning when I tried to drop him off, and he still mostly fusses and complains about going every week.) He eagerly went in search of a treat and called to me over his shoulder, "You see, mom, things are changin' with me . . I just know it."

- And those of you who are friends with me on FB may know about Jack's obsession with "Deck the Halls" over Christmas. He used the phrase to refer to places, homes, and rooms that were wonderfully decorated and exhibited the Christmas spirit. It took me awhile to finish decorating our home, so one day he impatiently told me that "our house is NOT deck the halls." . . Later, Paul said he and Jack were driving by a gated community of homes all decked out with Christmas lights when Jack exclaimed, "Wow! A whole village of deck the halls!" . . . and even later, as I finally finished decorating our house, Jack came running in and excitedly proclaimed, "Mom, this is so Christmassy . . . this is the best holiday ever . . . THIS is deck the halls!"

Today, Jan. 13, Jack is still reading Christmas books and singing Christmas songs, and we are reading the Christmas story from the Bible for one of his AWANA assignments (that we didn't get to in Dec.) Which is all okay with him and me. He told me today, "Jesus was probably not born on Christmas Day, but it's a good time to celebrate His birthday." I wholeheartedly agreed! 

Compiling these today helped my attitude tonight when Jack told me that the split pea soup I made for dinner "smells and tastes like barf!" :-)

1 comment:

  1. The boys said, "Now that's comedy!" We love Jack!!!

    ReplyDelete