Saturday, January 22, 2011

Who am I?

Jared participates in a portion of a worldview class as part of his weekly history/humanities class with Mrs. Carla Fritz. (Carla uses a combination of Dr. George Grant's King's Meadow curriculum http://www.kingsmeadow.com/ - formerly called Gileskirk - and the Quine's Starting Points curriculum http://www.cornerstonecurriculum.com/Curriculum/SP/sp.htm. Both are first-rate and ones I'd love to use in our homeschool as the other kids get older. We are grateful that Jared is able to get this excellent teaching at so young of an age.)

One of Jared's projects before Christmas was to create a collage about his identity in Christ using key passages of Scripture. I was so excited about this assignment and honored that he asked me to help him "scrapbook it" so he could hang it in his room. I would recommend this assignment to anyone with pre-teen and teenage kids (or for yourself!) I'm unable to use our scanner at this time; if you'd like a copy of the assignment sheet with some Scriptures to get you started, just let me know.

Jared chose to type up 15 of the passages using different fonts and colors and then cut them out. Sorting through my scrapbooking paper, he selected the color theme he wanted along with a photo of himself at the beach. I showed him how to choose coordinating colors, use decorative scissors to cut the Scriptures, and how to use matting to accent some of the layout. He wanted to keep things simple - which was fine with me! It made me smile when he said, "Wow, I didn't realize there was so much involved with scrapbooking. Is this what you do when you go to your scrapbooking days?" :-)

Below are photos of the finished project. Hope you can see them clearly.

Our sweet Jared


It was really neat to see the 15 passages he chose to remind him of Truth - who he is in Christ. Here are a few . . .

The finished project!

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Cor. 5:17

"You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. " Eph. 4:22-24

1 comment: